What is BCALM
The British Columbia Association for Living Mindfully (BCALM) is a non-profit society dedicated to education, research and advocacy around the benefits of mindfulness in homes, in schools, and in workplaces throughout BC.
To nurture and facilitate greater mindfulness and compassion in homes, workplaces, schools and communities throughout British Columbia.
• To offer Mindfulness Based Stress Management education to people in British Columbia who are challenged by stress
• To work with educators to encourage greater mindfulness education in our schools
• To work with existing mindfulness and stress management initiatives in BC in order to address the stress epidemic
• To offer further research into the benefits and effectiveness of mindfulness based interventions on improving the health and wellness of people challenged by stress related disorders
• To advocate for greater access and research into mindfulness based programs and services in our schools, workplaces, health centres and communities
Our Core Values
Integrity: we are honest, transparent, and committed to doing what is best for BCALM and the communities we serve. We openly collaborate in pursuit of the best solutions and when faced with difficult decisions and hard choices, we act ethically and morally.
Respect: we treat everyone as we would like to be treated and strive to understand, with compassion, diverse lived experiences, backgrounds, beliefs, and the hidden or overt challenges others may face. Respect can be expressed through acts of kindness, caring, goodwill, and understanding.
Inclusion: we are inclusive through our words and actions and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or bullying. Discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, or physical ability is not condoned. We value the fact that we all come from different walks of life, not only because it is the right thing to do but also because it makes our organization stronger.
Community: our shared humanity and appreciation for mindful awareness, compassion, and acceptance bring us together. This foundation leverages our collective intention to contribute, to the best of our abilities, and to have a meaningful and positive impact. We value each and every relationship in our efforts to build stronger and more resilient
communities throughout British Columbia.
Sustainability: we strive to nurture our vision, and work towards our strategic directions, with a respectful awareness of resources, balancing our needs with our capacity –personal, organizational and financial. We forge a strong and sustainable future by taking care of ourselves, each other and what we offer, balancing the priorities of the present and the future.